Red Bean and Lentil Casserole
Here’s another guilt-free pasta recipe for you! You won’t need a spiral slicer for this one, simply use a regular veggie peeler – like the kind you would use to peel the skin from a potato – to create long, flat zucchini noodles. This recipe has a scrumptious, nutty flavor that will make you forget all about traditional noodles. Feel free to serve with some sliced chicken breast, sliced hard-boiled eggs or steak for added protein. Enjoy!
What you need
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
½ cup dry sprouted lentils, such as Puy or green
2 ½ cups low-sodium, organic vegetable broth
1 large cooking apple such as Granny Smith or Macintosh, peeled, cored, and chopped
2 teaspoons dried basil
¼ cup white wine
1 (14oz) can chopped tomatoes
1 (15oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease a 9×13 casserole pan with olive oil.
2. Heat the olive oil gently in a large saucepan, add onion and garlic, and cook for five minutes until the onions are translucent.
3. Add lentils and stir, then add vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
4. Add the peppers, basil, apple, white-wine, shaved Parmesan cheese, and canned tomatoes and mix well.
5. Transfer the mixture to and sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top. Cook in oven for 30 minutes.
6. Serve immediately, or freeze remaining portions in individual servings.
One serving equals: 260 calories, 3g fat, 335mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate, 10g fiber, and 18g protein
I hope that you get a chance to give this recipe a try this week. Remember that I’m only a call or email away to assist you in all things fitness. And if you are not yet one of my prized clients then call or email me now to set up your first workout – I’d love to help you achieve your best body ever!
SIGN UP FOR THE "GET FIT" NEWSLETTER